The Gustine Museum is housed in the former Merced County Justice Court/Jail. It is located at 397 4th Street, Highway 33, Gustine. This historic building built in 1911 served the City of Gustine until abandoned in 1980. The building was leased to the Gustine Historical Society in 1985. It reopened in 1990 after extensive renovation as the Gustine Museum. In 1996 the building was designated a California Point of Historic Interest.
The Gustine Museum features both permanent and temporary displays. Permanent displays feature: Gustine Police Department, Henry Miller,
dairy industry, Bald Eagle Mine, barbed wire, early Gustine, photographs, and cowboy tack and gear, and our own jail with two cells.
The Museum building is officially 100 years old. The museum was built by Davenport and Kruger in 1911. It served as a Merced County Justice Courthouse and Jail for many years. The Gustine Police Department occupied the building into the 1980’s. Former mayor Elizabeth Bettencourt was able to gain the support of fellow members of the Gustine City Council to allow
the Gustine Historical Society to turn the former Merced County Courthouse/Jail into the Gustine Museum.
This is a photograph of the original Merced County District 6 Courthouse now the Gustine Museum.